Thursday, July 01, 2010

Misguided Ghosts

Video is at the bottom if you want to stop the auto-playback...

It is very easy to run. To avoid the things that we don't understand. To steer clear of the things that have hurt is in the past. It's in fact, instinctual. We are creatures of habit.

I believe that some of these habits/instincts, can actually be harmful to our person well-being, especially those that cause us to generalize. I have made major life changes at times because of these instincts. I moved literally from coast to coast to avoid a situation that I thought would be inevitable if I remained where I was, all because of the ghost of bad experiences. I have heard that who we are is simply a personal interpretation of the collection of our experiences. You experience, you learn, you adapt. But at times, a particular experience, or small collection of experiences can have such a negative effect on us, that they override the logical process of evaluating our experiences as a collective, consideration all scenarios and outcomes, and forces us to draw a false conclusion. A conclusion that is based on the overwhelming pain/grief/fear from one instance that had such an impact that it distorts our view/opinion of any life situation we face that we deem comparable in the future. Though the characters may be different, the scenario, and even our own personal outlook on life, we remain haunted, and will make misguided decisions that we may believe will protect us from ever experiencing such hardships again.

I once had a alter-ego, or alternate persona that I would turn on and off to deal with some of the things I have faced in my life. I had a habit of shutting down. I don't know if this is a curable character flaw, but I was given the option of fight or flight, and I'm personally tired of running. Maybe I'm running from my resolution. Maybe there is no resolution. For now, I will do my best to recognize when I am being misguided by the ghosts that haunt me and stop them. I will not always succeed. I may not catch it in time to actually make a difference, but I will always try.

I dont always know what to say, or how to say it, but this song gave me a bit of direction and inspired me to write this.

Hope it helps




{Verse 1}
I am going away for a while
But I'll be back, don't try and follow me
'Cause I'll return as soon as possible
See I'm trying to find my place
But it might not be here where I feel safe
We all learn to make mistakes

{Chorus}
And run
From them, from them
With no direction
We'll run from them, from them
With no conviction

'Cause I'm just one of those ghosts
Traveling endlessly
Don't need no roads
In fact they follow me

And we just go in circles

{Verse 2}
Well Now I'm told that this is life
And pain is just a simple compromise
So we can get what we want out of it
Would someone care to classify,
Of broken hearts and twisted minds
So I can find someone to rely on

{Chorus}
And run
To them, to them
Full speed ahead
Oh you are not useless
We are just

Misguided ghosts
Traveling endlessly
The ones we trusted the most
Pushed us far away
And there's no one road
We should not be the same
But I'm just a ghost
And still they echo me

They echo me in circles

No comments:

Post a Comment