Thursday, June 24, 2010

Loyalty and Friendship

Busy Day. As you probably figured, I'm dealing with a few things today, lol. One thing I do is try to work through all possible scenarios of a situation so I can decide what will be my best course of action. But it doesnt stop there. I let the situation play out some so that I can re-evaluate, check the new facts against my hypothesis and make any necessary adjustments and/or regroup. In the course of doing that, I came across a scenario I find prevalent, especially amongst the female gender.

Lets start out by saying what friendship and loyalty is NOT. I may not have a cut and dry definition of what they are, but I damn sure know what they are not.
1) They are not blind. You are not a true friend if you blindly take the side of the one you call your friend. If they are wrong, you tell them. If they are over reacting or doing too much, you tell them. You dont embrace them, but you let them know when they are in the wrong. After all, you are their friend, who else would know the, better?
2)They are not exclusive. You best guy friend dates your best girl friend. They dont work out. Foul play on one side or the other, or neither, should not end your friendship with either. Their may be adjustments to make, there may be a conversation or two that need to be had, but friends see each other through hard times, even if that friend brought hardship on themselves.
3)They are not pushovers. You have a friend with a problem they cant get over. No matter how hard you try, how much advice or anything else you do for them, they cant get passed it. It is not your job as the friend to be there forever. Its not. You cant change someone. Now hopefully it doesnt result in you losing a friend, but you cant stop living your life because they have an issue they refuse to get through. Anytime I've faced this dilemma, it was only for a very short time that I had to cut that friend off. They got it. I'd like to think that they got it because they realized that I have nothing but their best intention at heart, and if I felt like I had to remove myself from the situation, they would re-evaluate the situation because they realized my value as a friend greatly outweighed whatever the issue they were having was... run on sentence... My bad.
4)They are not close-minded. I only have 2 people I would consider very good friends right now. And its for no other reason than what I can say to them. At my best, at my worst, at my most cynical, my most illogical and my most needed, they get me. The know me. They understand what I may be going through that may make me say or feel however it is that I'm feeling. No they don't always know what to say, or agree with me. But I know whatever it is, its never out of judgment. They will keep me grounded if I needed it, can give me space when I demand it, and know when to shut me up when I cant control it.

Now take the opposite of that and try to embody that and you might one day be as good of a friend as I am. For now, test me and I know you'll be in for a great surprise. Just dont play me. I dont handle that well...

No comments:

Post a Comment