Tuesday, June 22, 2010

What's a man to do?

I'm pretty attractive. I am. I cant help it. Good genes I guess. And no, I dont think this because of my fraternal affiliation. o_O I'm decently educated. I'm gainfully employed twice over. I own what I have. I read. I travel. I dress pretty well; gave up the baggy jeans and white tees years ago. And currently, for the most part, I hang out with guys that have a similar, if not better, situation. In addition, we are all equally as single. Obviously, because this is my blog, I will being using situations that I have experienced, though, I am currently single by choice, which is a completely different blog for another day. But for some time, I was single against my will.

I had a conversation with a good friend of mine about my relationship status, and in her opinion, I am a GREAT catch(she stressed the great, not me, lol). I am very loyal, I am attentive, I am fun, and a few of the things that I mentioned previously. She went so far as to say that she stresses to some of her friends that they need to get their lives together and see what could happen, because, in comparison to what they are dealing with now, I am that dude.

I digress. The point is, we are constantly hearing about the lack of good men. The lack of good black men. The lack of good, straight, educated black men that dont feel like they deserve to be treated like gods, simply because they are doing what they are suppose to be doing anyway! But I can think of 8 of the top of my head, 4 being right here in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. So why are we hearing everyday that their are none left?

Lets strip down this whole thing to some essentials that I hear when I talk to my female friends about relationships.
Attraction: Are women putting too much into the physical then necessary? I only 5'10. I've been turned down for that. I am not in the best shape of my life, but I'm not fat. But Ive been overlooked because my lack of 6 pack abs. As I said, I'm pretty attractive, but I've been be scoffed at for the fact that I had a goatee rather then a full on beard or the lack of being cleanly shaved. I dress decent but have been shunned for my shoes not being timberland boots and my polo-shirt not being Polo. I have preferences. But I have never not talked to a potential mate because they did not match all of my physical preferences. You find me five 5'6, thick in all the right places and no body fat in all the rest of the places, long haired, weave free, light eyed, cinnamon complexioned women, who look good in a dress but would prefer to wear some Jordan 3's and a baseball hat while sitting in the living room playing guitar hero or Madden with me in your city and let me know.

Ambition: It seems that everything has to be right now. Why is it not good enough for a man to be poorer than dirt, an avid bus rider, and a top ramen lover, that has ACTIVE plans to accomplish a dream or goal? I'm getting a few second looks now, but the man I am now has very few emotional or physical difference from the man I was 3 years ago that lived in a 3 bedroom house with four other guys and no food in the fridge. And I've always said what I planned on doing, which, fortunately I am doing some of now. God willing, I'll be doing the rest soon. The point is, my potential was overlook until it was more than just potential. But now those girls that decided to pass want to come back and find they gets no love. Then have the never to talk about how I aint shit or I'm passing up a good thing... even though they are in the same position they were in when they decided I wasn't doing enough for them to give me a shot.

There is more that I want to say, but I am having a bit of difficulty putting the words together. And, since this is my blog, I'll do what I feel. I'll wrap this up.

Moral of the story, be open. It may not be what you dreamed up for yourself, but it may be exactly who God created for you. Don't sell anyone short. People have a strange way of being and doing much more than you'd ever expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment